Skip to main content

Military and Veteran Students

When applying to the university, Military or Veteran applicants will apply as freshman or transfer students. Typically, Military or Veteran students will be evaluated as transfer applicants, if they have 15 or more college credits from the military or college coursework.

Admission Criteria

Freshman Admission Criteria must be met by Military or Veteran students considered as Freshman applicants. Certain majors have additional requirements for admission.

Transfer Admission Criteria must be met by Military or Veteran students considered as Transfer applicants (with 15 or more credit hours). Certain majors have additional requirements for admission. If students are transferring with only military credit, they may only be considered for majors that do not have additional criteria.

Steps to Apply

  • Complete the University of Houston application for admission using either the Apply Texas Application or The Common ApplicationIf you are applying for spring 2022, visit applytexas.orgIf you are applying for summer 2022 or fall 2022 (and beyond), visit Please submit only one application.
  • Pay the nonrefundable $75 application fee ($90 for international students) with a credit card, debit card, or check. Checks can be made out to the University of Houston, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204. Transfer applicants are not eligible for an application fee waiver.
  • Freshman Applicants: Have your ACT or SAT score(s) sent directly from the testing agency to us. Our code for ACT is 4236; SAT is 6870. Also have your most recent High School Transcript sent. Please note that SAT/ACT scores older than 5 years cannot be used.
  • Transfer Applicants: Have your most recent official transcript from all colleges and universities attended sent to the University of Houston, Office of Undergraduate Admissions, 4434 University Drive, Houston, TX 77204.

Military Transcripts (Methods of Delivery)

Veteran or military students are required to submit all military transcripts. Transcripts can be submitted via the following methods:

  • Joint Services Transcripts (JST), Airforce College, American Council on Education (ACE) transcripts must be sent as electronic PDFs from the service directly
  • Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard transcripts can be requested at the Joint Services Transcript site.
  • Air Force transcripts can be requested through the Air University or the CCAF Online Transcript System.

For more information regarding how to send military transcripts please reach out to UH Veteran Services.

Credit for Military Service

If a student submits a military transcript, generally credit will be awarded as elective credit for all military courses. If military applicants also have college credit from a college or university outside of the military, transfer credit may be provided. Please see the Transferring Credit page for more information.

For additional guidance on determining if you have transferable college credits, please meet with an Admissions Advisor.

Fee Waiver Eligibility

Military students may be eligible for a fee waiver under admissions policies. For Freshman military students, please see the NACAC fee waiver form. For transfer military students, students are not eligible for a fee waiver. Active Duty military students who can no longer attend in the semester that they have applied due to active duty placement may be eligible for a fee waiver once they are ready to reapply for the university. Please contact the Office of Admission directly for more information.

Veteran Resources

For other information and resources please see the links below: